Nutrition Q&A: High-Protein Breakfasts Without the EggsIt is fairly common to develop a food aversion to something that you eat all of the time. Chicken and eggs, interestingly, are the two that I come across the most often.
Nutrition Q&A 8/13/21
Question from Raul
I eat eggs every morning for breakfast and can’t seem to stomach them anymore. In light of my aversion to eggs, do you have any other suggestions for high-protein breakfasts other than protein shakes?
Raul, you are not alone. It is fairly common to develop a food aversion to something that you eat all of the time. Chicken and eggs, interestingly, are the two that I come across the most often. Texture, being forced to eat the food, or a previous bad experience such as food poisoning are the common reasons people cite for food aversions. If the eggs make you physically ill, you may want to be tested for a food allergy.
On a different note, food aversions during pregnancy actually come from a change in hormones, specifically hCG. I’m assuming that you are not pregnant.
Here are a few options for high protein breakfasts for you to consider:
- Dinner for breakfast. I know this sounds strange (though many of us occasionally do the reverse and eat breakfast for dinner). Consider making enough for dinner that you have leftovers the next morning.
- Breakfast ground beef, veggies, and rice bowl. Cook up some lean ground beef, chicken, or turkey and your favorite veggies that you would add to an omelet. Serve mixed with rice or potatoes. Sprinkle cheese on top. Another option would be to add the meat, veggies, and cheese to tortillas and make breakfast burritos.
- Greek yogurt with chopped nuts, berries, chia seeds, and honey
- Cottage cheese and avocado toast. Use a quality whole grain bread and spread open faces with cottage cheese. Top with thin avocado slices and/or tomato
- “Hide” the eggs by trying them in a different form. For instance, you can make pancakes or waffles by mixing egg whites, oatmeal, and a couple of other ingredients. If you haven’t tried it already, here is a favorite recipe of mine where the eggs are disguised https://barbell-logic.com/bloc-breakfast/#content