Demand for highly skilled professional barbell coaches has never been higher than it is RIGHT NOW.
With the rapid growth of Starting Strength Online Coaching, the development of the Starting Strength Franchise gym model, the growth of the number of Starting Strength Affiliate Gyms, and the exposure of the Starting Strength system to an ever-expanding audience, there has never been a better time to be a Starting Strength Coach. Opportunity abounds, and many Starting Strength Coaches are opening gyms, expanding their in-person and online clientele, and leaving behind successful and prestigious careers in other fields to follow their passion and coach full time. But because the certification process for becoming an SSC is so rigorous, the task of adding new coaches to the organization continues to move forward slowly.
Enter the Coaching Academy, where a successful candidate will enter the program as a student, be invited to intern, and leave the program as a professional coach with a job offer to work for SSOC.
The Coaching Academy will consist of two tiers and an in-person coaching camp.
Tier 1 – Education Program
Students in the Education Program are placed in groups of 6 students, with one Coaching Academy Staff Coach. The program follows a detailed Education Program Curriculum and Lesson Plan. The duration of the program is 6 months, and cost for the program is $179 per month, with a 6-month commitment. Students must keep pace with their group once the program begins, and will not be allowed to switch to a different group unless there are special extenuating circumstances.
- 6:1 Student to Staff Coach ratio
- $179 per month, 6 month commitment
- Weekly assignments sent out via email from Google Classroom
- Weekly conference video calls with your Staff Coach to discuss the weekly assignment
- Exclusive Coaching Academy Slack Page
- Extensive Curriculum
- Weekly reading and coaching assignments, and periodic writing assignments
The program consists of weekly academic assignments and coaching tasks. Academic topics are broken into five modules:
- Coaching Theory
- Physiology, Anatomy, and Mechanics
- Practical Coaching
- Professional and Business Considerations
At the beginning of each week students receive assignments via a Coaching Academy Google Classroom Page. The assignments consist of articles and videos on the weekly subject matter. Students are asked to answer a few short questions or give their general impression of the subject matter in their team channel on the Coaching Academy Slack. The group’s Staff Coach holds a weekly video conference call to discuss the weekly topic. Conference calls are recorded and posted so that students not able to attend can review later.
The students are also assigned weekly coaching tasks such as visualization exercises, video breakdown to identify setup or movement errors for the lifts, and identifying differences in anthropometry. Coaching assignments are be given to the students in a set progression with each assignment focusing on improving a specific aspect of coaching skill or knowledge. Each assignment builds upon the previous ones and integrate information from the curriculum assignments as well. The coaching assignments are discussed weekly in conjunction with the academic assignment, as per the Curriculum and Lesson Plan. Students are also required to periodically film themselves teaching and coaching the lifts and submit those videos for review and discussion on Slack and during the group conference calls.
A longer writing assignment is required of the students at the end of each academic module and also near the completion of the Education Program to allow for the student to display what they have learned during the program. The Staff Coach provides written and/or verbal feedback on these assignments.
At the conclusion of the final week of the program, the Staff Coach and Program Director provide written feedback to each student detailing their coaching strengths and weaknesses and a list of items that they need to work on to improve as a coach. The Staff Coach for the graduating group also nominates any outstanding performers from the group to move on to the Intern Program as an SSOC Intern, and the nominees are discussed by all of the Staff Coaches and the SSOC leadership team to make a final ruling.
CONF CALL DAY/TIME
|Groups 23||2/25||Tuesdays 12:00 PM CST|
|Groups 25||3/25||Sundays 7:00 PM CST|
|Groups 26||3/25||Wednesdays 7:00 PM CST|
Reserve Your Spot
Didn’t make it into the group you wanted, or looking for a group with conference calls on a different day and time to accommodate your schedule? Sign-up now to reserve your spot in an upcoming group with the time slot that works best for you.
Tier 2 – Coaching Academy Intern Program Details
The second tier of the Coaching Academy is an internship position with SSOC, working under a senior SSOC Staff Coach. The Intern Program is by invitation only, taking only the most promising coaching candidates from the Education Program.
- Interns receive a small monthly monetary stipend, and also receive discounted coaching from SSOC coaches if they desire.
- Interns are placed in groups of 5 interns per 1 Staff Coach.
- Each intern group is responsible for coaching and programming for a group of clients from the SSOC Club Coaching option. The Club option is $99/mo for each client and spots are very limited. Each group of 5 interns with a single Staff Coach will coach 50 clients. (Maximum client to intern ratio of 10:1, and intern to staff coach ratio of 5:1)
- Interns in the program groups are assigned 10 clients each month on a rotating basis to provide the interns exposure to different clients. The clients are coached and programmed per the standards outlined in the SSOC Systems Manual + Coaching Responsibilities and Expectations document.
- Staff Coaches and the Coaching Academy Program Director monitor all intern coaching activity.
- Each intern reports to their Staff Coach weekly and gives a short summary of what technique errors they have been working on with each client and an explanation of the programming they’ve assigned for the following week. The Staff Coach and Program Director. monitor programming for the clients and also help guide the interns with feedback on their technical coaching and programming choices.
- Interns are encouraged to share any thoughts and questions about coaching their clients with their peers, the Staff Coaches, and the Program Director on the SSOC Slack page.
Intern Program Curriculum
Interns are given periodic coaching and writing assignments to specifically prepare them to pass the Starting Strength Coach Certification platform and written exams. Interns will also be tasked with frequently submitting videos of themselves coaching in-person clients – to be reviewed by the Staff Coaches, the Program Director, and their intern peers.
Interns that go on to obtain the SSC Certification are offered a position as an SSOC Staff Coach and will begin receiving their own clients immediately – assuming they are in good standing with the SSOC Team, the SSCA, and the Aasgaard Co.
Coaching Academy – Coaches’ Camp
The Coaching Academy Coaches’ Camp is an optional in-person weekend seminar for students looking to improve their in-person and overall coaching performance. Coaches’ Camps are scheduled to coincide with the completion of the Education Program terms, but the camps are open to anyone.
The focus of the Coaches’ Camp is the evaluation and improvement of the student’s performance on the platform. Lectures focus on practical coaching topics, and the student receives ample opportunity to coach various lifters and receive real-time feedback from Coaching Academy Staff Coaches. The Coaches’ Camp is concluded with an exit interview for each camp attendee and a question and answer session with the staff, providing direct feedback for the attendee on what they need to improve and how they need to go about it.
- 6:1 MAX student to coach ratio
- Cost $499
- Real-time feedback on your platform coaching
- Practical coaching lectures on how to study and improve as a platform coach
- Individual exit interview with the Coaching Academy Staff Coaches